Grow Old With Me, The Best Is Yet To Be...

Monday, June 21, 2010

Go Ahead and LAUGH!!

Well Father's Day was interesting this year that's for sure! Kasey had to work all weekend long; wanting to spend time with him, the kids and I packed up to go camping - we left later on Saturday so that we would get there when he was getting off work. We set up camp at Seminoe State Park, it was fairly busy so we put Isla in the car to play in a safe confined space while we were putting up the tents. When we were done I went to get her and realized that it wasn't as kid-proof as I thought because she found a blue pen and had scribbled all over the driver's side leather seat. Yeah, that was a great idea... worst part is that it will not come out. So, at this time Kasey and I are a little peeved and I was getting things ready for dinner and realized I had forgot firewood; the firewood!! Are you kidding me, how does that even happen?? It wouldn't have been that big of deal if we were camping in the mountains but we weren't, so Kasey had to go find something to burn so we could cook dinner. It took about a half an hour to find some scraps of wood - and they burned out about 10:30 p.m. so we went to bed.

Okay, now it's Sunday and Kasey had to get up for work and left at 6:20 a.m. Of course, the girls hear his truck start up so my day started at 6:20 A.M. as well. I'm all for getting up early when camping, but not that early! haha :) It was really cold and windy in the morning and got really hot around lunch time. The girls played in the lake so they were just fine. There wasn't any sand, just gravel and mud but we made it work. :) After their nap, we played in the water yet again... I was sitting in my chair watching the girls and a stray dog came and stirred up mine (who were both tied up), his owner came to get the stranger dog and Sara - who is protective of our family - showed agression to the guy and his dog... Scared me to death!


Anyway, when I decided to go camping to see Kasey over this weekend, I fully expected to spend some time by myself while waiting for him. I figured it would be like 4 hours or so, maybe even from 6 to noon. But I spent 11 hours of misery by myself, looking at all the cars driving by hoping it was Kasey. Even something as simple as going to the bathroom had turned into a field trip - 3 kids and 2 dogs that you can't leave by themselves... Irritating! So it's like 5:30 p.m. and Kasey bought firewood when he was in town, but he forgot to get cash back for the camp fee for the second night! We had to pack up camp, drive to another location, re-set up camp, built a firepit, and started dinner at about 7:30.

So now we are sitting around the fire enjoying our dinner amongst the millions of mosquitoes, when Pete goes in for the kill on a tiny piece of hot dog that one of the girls dropped and jams his head in the in the small folding chair. When he realized that he couldn't get it out, he panicked and whipped it right out from under Mikenna, swung it around and hit her in the shoulder and cheek (and we are close to the fire, by the way), she wasn't hurt or anything thank goodness. Kasey had to grab him and took a couple hits himself, while I had to sit on him while Kasey cut his head out of this chair with a hack saw. As you can imagine, it wasn't easy going to bed after all this excitement, but we had to get to sleep early because we had to wake up at 4:30 a.m. to break down camp because Kasey had to work and I was heading back home. We said our goodbyes at 7, how depressing... :(

It's funny now, but wasn't so much then! Haha :) I think it's safe to say that this was the worst camping trip both of us have ever had. Even though the kids and I only saw him for probably 10 hours combined, it was well worth it because he won't be home for another week. But you know, this will be a memory that we will look back on and say "remember when...." and then laugh for hours. Oh, wait we already do! ;-)

Happy Daddy Day to all the men who take great care of their families, because any guy can be a father but it takes a special man to be a daddy! :) Kasey - you are the best dad, husband, and man I have ever known. Our girls wouldn't be the same without you, I wouldn't be the same without you. We love you tons!

No comments:

Post a Comment